The landlord/tenant relationship is somewhat different than living on campus, where the goal is to provide comfortable housing in an educational environment. In most off-campus housing, the relationship is purely financial. The landlord invests in property to produce income from the tenant’s rent. Accommodations for unexpected events in a student’s life are usually not considered in off-campus housing.





You have rights as a tenant.  The City of Lawrence has information about rental licensing for tenants.

If you are having difficulties with your landlord, consult Legal Services for Students. The legal services office will be able to explain your rights under the Kansas Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, which can provide legal options and remedies for tenants.

Legal Services for Students